big pom baby beanie - free knitting pattern!
today i'm excited to finally share my first free knitting pattern - the big pom baby beanie!
time to craft was quite hard to come by those first weeks (months...) home from the hospital,
but i knew that i had to make something special for my little man's first christmas!
this tiny hat knit up nice and quick
but oh my it took me so many tries to get the size just right!
for that reason i thought i would share the pattern with you!
the ribbing adds a bit of stretch for little guy to grow into it,
and the giant pom on top is just so stinkin adorable
it's by far my favorite hat of his.
big pom baby beanie
a free knitting pattern
by michael ann made
**You can now download a printable PDF pattern - click here!!**
for babies 3 - 12 months
finished size - 14" circumference unstretched, 6 1/2 " tall
- US size 5 double pointed needles or circular needle (16" long)
- US size 4 double pointed needles or circular needle (16" long)
- 2 contrasting colors sport weight yarn
- cast on 80 stitches with the size 5 needles
join to knit in the round marking the first stitch
- knit a rib stitch (k1 p1) for 7 rows
- transfer your ribbing to the size 4 needles
- continue with a knit stitch in the contrasting yarn
knitting every row for 5 1/2 inches
- cut a tail 8 inches or so and thread it through the remaining stitches.
cinch it tight to close off the top of the hat and tie it off inside.
- make a pom pom about 3" in diameter in the yarn used for the ribbing
and attach to the top of the hat
(i used a bit of sewing thread and stitched it on
to make sure it was good and secure for curious little hands)
- pop your finished hat on your little baby's head
and take way too many pictures of their adorable little face!
by michael ann